Updated: Apr 14
Open innovation is a term used to promote an information age mindset toward innovation that runs counter to the secrecy and silo mentality of traditional corporate research labs.
A competitive analysis was performed to understand the strengths, weaknesses, similarities, and differences between competitor Open Innovation platforms on the Internet.
Observational Note Making
First I discovered How Ideas formed, shared, and discussed on Facebook?
Target Users in Facebook for Open innovation Feature
Based on Usage, Facebook users can be divided into many types. But this Open Innovation feature mainly needs to target the users who have creative, analytic, and problem-solving skills and expertise in their respective fields and those who use Facebook to share their new ideas through different formats, those who share organic opinions and make discussions on problems and challenges, etc
I created a provisional persona of target users for an open innovation feature that reflected the data I had collected through user research.
To better understand the perspective of the target users, I interviewed 4 people using Facebook. Because I want to learn about the target user’s preferences, motivations, and frustrations as they relate to the open innovation process in social media.
1. There are users who try to use Facebook as a collaborative platform for innovation.
2. There are users who want feedbacks from others for their new ideas.
3. There are users who want to give feedback on other’s opinions and new ideas.
Clustering interview responses allowed me to discover trends and patterns from which insights could be constructed. Through this process I identified several user needs:
1. Users need a way to get more feedback/suggestions for their ideas and opinions.
2. Users need recognition and appreciation for their ideas/opinions.
3. Users need a work-based community network.
4. Users need a way to control their privacy while interacting with unknown people.
5. Users need to know the authenticity and credibility of the people they interact with.